Table of Contents
Nutrisystem and the HMR Diet program are two meal delivery services, that offer a wide range of meals, snacks, and shakes.
Nutrisystem is far and away the most popular diet delivery in the United States , and it’s our top-rated option here at DadQuarters.
While Nutrisystem is going to work great for pretty much anyone looking for the best meal delivery program out there, there are some differences that may make HMR the better choice for a lot of folks.
To help you decide which diet is best for you, we’re going to take a look at both Nutrisystem and HMR, so you can get the information you need to pick the best option for you.
Before we dive in to each program, though, let’s briefly look at some of the key differences. This may give you an idea right out of the gates about which of these two diets will best fit your needs and budget.
Key Differences Between HMR and Nutrisystem
So what makes HMR and Nutrisystem different from each other?
There are actually some pretty big differences, that may make one work better for you when compared to the other.
1. Menu Size
With nearly 200 food items to choose from, Nutrisystem boasts the largest menu of any of the meal delivery diets we’ve reviewed.
Nutrisystem offers support through chat, email, or phone consults from their team of diet and health experts. You can get this same level of support from HMR, and then even take it up a notch.
HMR offers in-person meetings , and even an option that includes medical supervision. Of course, these support upgrades do come with an additional cost, but if coaching and a support team are things you’re looking for, then the higher price may be worth it for you.
When you compare both of these diet plans, they’re pretty comparable in price for their meal delivery programs. Both start at about $9 per day.
If you opt for HMR’s In-Person meetings options, that will bring the cost of their program up a bit. The price for their meetings program varies depending on a number of factors, including where you live .
Now that we have some of these key differences highlighted, let’s take a closer look at both Nutrisystem and HMR, so you can decide which one is going to be your perfect fit.
Price: Check Current Prices Here
Nutrisystem is a diet favorite of TheDietAdvantage, and is actually a diet that I’ve used several times over the years.
That means I can personally attest to how well it worked for me.
I most recently used their new FreshStart program, here are my results:
As you can see, it’s possible to lose a decent amount of weight following the Nutrisystem Fresh Start program. For me, it was a great way to build motivation, and stick with the program until I was able to reach my weight loss goal.
Here’s a quick look at how Nutrisystem’s newest diet plan works:
Key Diet Features
- 4 Plan Options & Pricing Points to Pick From
- Specialty Menu for Vegetarians, Men, and People with Type 2 Diabetes
- Meals Created by Nutrisystem’s Team of Chefs
- Lose up to 15 LBS in First 30 Days
- One-on-One Support from Diet and Weight Loss Experts
- Track Progress with Nutrisystem App
- More Flexibility with Built-in Flex Meals Every Week
- Use Their Free Diet Quiz to Pick the Perfect Plan for You
- Balanced Nutrition Makes for Healthy Weight Loss
- Meals That Are High in Protein and Rich in Fiber
- Foods That Have Low-Glycemic Carbs to Help with Blood Sugar
- No Calorie or Points Counting
- No Weigh-Ins
- Money Back Guarantee (Check Fine Print for How this Work)
How Much Weight Do They Say You Can Lose?
As is the case with any weight loss program or diet, results are going to be different for everyone.
At last check, Nutrisystem said people could lose up to 15 pounds during their first month, and most dieters could expect to lose an average of 1-2 pounds per week after that .
If you aren’t losing as much weight as you had hoped, Nutrisytem’s dietitians and weight loss experts are there to keep you on track and give you the support you need to reach your goals and answer questions.
Who Should Consider Nutrisystem Over HMR?
If you want to go with the best selling meal delivery diet, then Nutrisystem is at the top of the list.
On top of that, they feature the largest menu, a number of plans for special diets, and the most affordable menu we have tried.
While they don’t offer the same level of coaching or in-person meeting options that HMR does, you do get one-on-one access to dietitians and Nutrisystem representatives, who are there to answer questions, provide support, and keep you on track with your diet goals.
How Do You Join?
If Nutrisystem sounds like the perfect fit for you, the first thing you’ll want to do is to head to their website. Once there, you can start by taking the free diet quiz, which will help you pick the perfect plan for you.
You can also see their full menu, see success stories from real customers, and lock in their latest discounts.
2. HMR Diet Program
The HMR Diet Program has been helping folks lose weight for nearly 40 years now, and during that span they’ve developed a reputation of quality and success.
In addition to supplying you with diet food that can help you lose weight, they also connect you other tools that can useful as you work towards a diet goal.
These include things like coaching, in-person meetings, and a diet app.
Here’s how it works…
Key Diet Features
- Enjoy 3 HMR Shakes, 2 HMR Meals, and 5 Servings of Fruits and Veggies per Day
- 3 Plans to Pick From
- Program Designed Around Proven Behavioral Science Strategies
- Helps You Lose Weight Quickly
- Build Healthy Habits & Behaviors That are Key to Long-Term Weight Loss
- Support You Need to Reach Your Goals: Coaching, Meetings, and App Support
- Maintenance Plan for Once You Reach Your Desired Weight
- Mix in Moderate Physical Activity Every Day: Even a Short Walk Counts
- Track Your Day using the HMR App
- Cook Your Own Healthy Meals Using the HMR Recipe Database
- Plans & Options for Most Budgets
How Much Weight Do They Say You Can You Lose?
Again, can’t stress this enough – weight loss results on the HMR diet will be different from person to person.
That said, HMR’s meals and plan are designed to help you lose weight in a way that they say is both fast and healthy.
Here are the HMR weight loss averages based on the plans they currently have available, and numbers they have provided:
- Digital Plan: Average -13 lbs in 12 weeks
- Phone Group Plan: Average -23 lbs in 12 weeks
- In-Person Meeting Plan: Average -28 lbs or -38 lbs in 12 weeks, depending on the plan
Who Should Consider HMR Over Nutrisystem?
If you like the idea of in-person meetings, then HMR is going to be your pick.
Beyond that, the plans are pretty similar, so your best bet may be to take a close look at the menus, plan options, and pricing details to decide which one will work better for you.
How to Join
If you think you’re ready to put the HMR Diet to the test, you have a few options for getting started.
You can either visit their website, or you can also purchase their meals and snacks on Amazon.
Comparison Summary: And the Winner is?
When it comes to deciding between HMR or Nutrisystem, the choice will ultimately be up to you. Use some of the information we’ve provided here, and be sure to conduct your own research about both programs. Each one offers their own unique approach to dieting and weight loss, so be sure to pick an option that fits your dietary needs, lifestyle, and budget.
Our winner in the battle between HMR and Nutrisystem?
Nutrisystem is our top pick, and here’s why…
- It’s More Affordable
- Has a Bigger Menu
- Has Specialty Plan Options for Diabetics and Vegetarians
- Is Easy to Follow
- More Freedom with Built in Flex Meals
- The More Complete and Comprehensive Meal Delivery Service
- The $72 Billion Weight Loss & Diet Control Market in the United States, 2019-2023 – Why Meal Replacements are Still Booming, but Not OTC Diet Pills, BusinessWire. Retrieved at https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190225005455/en/72-Billion-Weight-Loss-Diet-Control-Market
- Find an HMR Location, HMR. Retrieved at https://www.hmrprogram.com/Find-Location
- HMR Plans. Retrieved at https://www.hmrprogram.com/plans
- Nutrisystem Diet, U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved at https://health.usnews.com/best-diet/nutrisystem-diet